Google Tag

Monday 19 June 2017

Baby Shakes - Turn It Up



I like to think that I have a reasonable knowledge of J-Pop and I've seen Baby Shakes described as an American version of Shonen Knife. I don't see (or hear) that at all. If you want to go down that track, the similarities are far more like Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her. Certainly, Baby Shakes have a much bigger sound than a three piece, they rock far more and Live, they wipe the floor with most.

There is that Ramones vibe, but there's also a great affinity with Rock And Roll. Imagine perhaps a light metal version of The Go-Go's. There's a real Garage Punk feel to what they do. One thing is sure they just don't let up.





The riffs are certainly there, particularly on Come On, they are almost in Sweet B Side Territory on Do What You Want. Won't See Me verges on Mod Pop, Turn It Up comes up for air on the closer, Fade Away which borders on Bangles Pop.

I love Baby Shakes. I know what I'm gonna get and it's exactly what i want. Crap day at work, put the stereo on, play this and the evening looks full of opportunities. Not many do what they do better. New York's Finest. Highly Recommended!






You can listen to and buy the album here. You can also buy it on cassette from Burger Records site here.



No comments:

Post a Comment