Friday, 11 September 2026

Jay Cavalier And The Band - The Big Light EP (Free Download)


 
I had a conversation with an old friend at the weekend and he was telling me how useless the EP is in 2026. I hear similar things from the album is done brigade and I disagree with both vigorously. The Playlist will one day be less sexy. It isn't, as many say, the replacement of the album or the necessity for a single. I'll go into why more fully in the future.

Jay Cavalier is an example of how important, the EP can be. A single obviously open doors a little, but how many great songs have you heard that lead you to an album that is really mediocre? If someone can hold your intention over three songs, then there's a reasonable chance that they will hold your attention for much longer. Plus make the three songs free to download and many bases are covered.



Pontificating over, The Bad Light is an incredible listen. It is DIY, put wonderfully engaging and these three songs stand up with anything. It was the submission of the title track that brought me here and if something resonates, I will look further.

The Big Light as a song, sounds very UK New Wave, the type that came out of Punk when bands realised they had to learn their instrument more and sing something catchy. Cavalier's vocal sounds best on this, a voice that adapts across both UK and US scenes. 




Waiting For The Rain is more American sounding, but also the path that New Wavers like Graham Parker took in the 80s, it has a great weeping Piano in the background and a fine sax break and a great Riff. It is a real songwriter telling a story vibe.

House Of Mirrors has an earthier vocal, but again has a sort of US feel that became more and more popular in the 80s Indie band. Beautifully played based around a cracking twanging riff. I think the future is bright for Cavalier, even in his 30s. I really do hope so. That twanging riff on House Of Mirrors promises much.




You can listen to and download the EP here.


.........................

No comments:

Post a Comment