I wouldn't normally go for a set of demos, but this is Tamar Berk. Five albums in Five Years, all of them featuring in the I Don't Hear A Single Best Albums Of The Year. She is an incredible Singer Songwriter and it is nice to revisit the album that started it all.
She has also moved on on every single album and produced some stellar Live Performances. Even considering the joy of all the following albums, this is probably my favourite, simply because of the impact that it had when I first listened to it.
I noted at the time that we appeared to be a boys club at times and I have to think that this album changed that. So much so that female artist featured included a big female presence including Tamar. It was delightful to see and hear.
A debut album can be deceiving with so many songs at times being readied up to that point. But the back catalogue now proves the talent has not lessened as her career has progressed. She is also quite unique in the way she appreciates the attention that she gets.
There is an earthiness to the demos, particularly on Heavy & Abusive. The demos sound even more heartfelt than the finished songs. A little more sparse, but in truth, not a million miles away from the final result. Lower key, but only the instrumentation and the production varies.
Better Off Meditating still sounds as good as when I first heard it five years ago. For the embeds, I've returned to the three embeds that I used for the original review. You hear the beginnings of the major talent that she is.
You can listen to and buy the album here.
..........................

No comments:
Post a Comment