There's a lot to catch up on, so I'd better get cracking and what a way to start with Chris Church of whom I've been a long time fan. Chris let me hear the opener and title track a few months ago and I thought it was precursor for his next album, due next year.
So I was surprised myself to see this 5 track EP released and it is everything that I wanted to hear. It is a return to the thing that got me into the man. Church has never stayed still and that is admirable, but this return to sort of the start is the most welcome thing this year.
It is guitartastic, loose and riff heavy, the Matthew Sweet vocal comparisons surface again and it as though Sweet is backed by Crazy Horse. There is a real Neil Young feel at times. It Rocks as much as you could ever want something to Rock.
As ever, a solo affair, although this time with Brian Beaver on Drums. Church plays the Guitar as though his life depends on it without ever losing sight of the song and the melody. I may be selfish, but this is how I want to hear Chris Church, it is what he is best at.
It is a Rock EP of the highest order. The riff on the frantic Yes, This Is The Blues is worth the admission alone and the chorus is more than a little early R.E.M. Alt Rock of the highest quality with a feel of Garage Rock Frenzy. Angrier than the man might normally be.
The closer, Absolutely Nothing, comes up for air, still Guitar led, but more of the storytelling that Church is noted for, restrained, but you get the intent. During my absence, I've managed to gather some stunning releases, but this may be the best of them. Chris Church is back and we should all be grateful.
You can listen to and buy the EP here. It is available on CD and as a download.
.............

No comments:
Post a Comment