I have been a Bleu fan forever. From Headlong onwards and it probably makes us both feel old to realise that was 26 years ago. I've played Redhead constantly since its release and also followed his side projects. L.E.O. 's Alcapas Orgling and The Major Label's Aquavia.
The former sounded more like ELO than ELO at times and the latter remains one of my favourite albums ever. The tie up with Mike Viola and Ducky Carlisle is amazing melodic pop and Ducky is one of the people remembered on this album.
https://bleu.bandcamp.com/track/start-a-band
As a side issue, I'm often asked where the I Don't Hear A Single name came from. Many get the Tom Petty Into The Great Wide Open connection and the cerebral twigged in the early years that the place was an Album Review site, although Listening To This Week changed a lot of that.
But the main influence was a song from that album by The Major Labels, a song fittingly called I Don't Hear A Single. I lost touch with Bleu through his Disney years etc, only because it wasn't really aimed at me. I was just happy that he was getting his due worth.
So, it is wonderful to have him back with a full album no less and what a splendid album it is. It has all the hallmarks of a classic Bleu album. Multi layered, a kitchen sink production, killer choruses and sheer joy. Indeed, his tribute to Ducky Carlisle, Start A Band, could have easily been on Aquavia.
Full of wit, the amazing thing is that he makes the subject matter, Death, Loss, aging so damn catchy. He can also still write a ballad. Where The Colours Bleed is darker and has an exceptional shared vocal with Carly Paige.
He even revives part of Start A Band in Scotch and makes an even bigger statement. The Last Scene Of The Magic Dead is a big 70s Pop Rock moment that treads into Yacht Rock. I'm Not Dead is the big Lighters Out Epic. It is more than a little Todd Rundgren.
But all roads lead to the reprise of the title track. a massive production. It contains everything that covers the great man's career. Beautifully arranged clever Guitar Pop, a raiding of the instrument cupboard, celebrating the now and then. There are some great albums already out this year, but this may be the thing that has delighted me most. Look out for the hidden track, a real jaunty minute long.
You can listen to and buy the download here. You can buy the vinyl here.
........................

No comments:
Post a Comment