Google Tag

Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Fuzzysurf - Black Licorice


 
Milwaukee's Fuzzysurf are a quartet that have appeared regularly across the LTTW Playlist's life and I have no idea why I didn't review the excellent Chameleons, I can only imagine it being caught in the January 2025 compiling of the previous years Best Of.

Black Licorice has a story to tell. Originally planned as the follow up to 2020's Sweet Tooth, the album was abandoned in 2023. The replacement of the rhythm section led to a change in direction and the path to Chameleons.




It was decided to revisit Black Licorice with the new line up. Some songs were re-recorded, others removed and replaced with new songs and the result is something really cohesive. The result is something distinctly Rockier, without losing the Guitar Pop that is a strength.

The album sounds a little more Slacker, a little 90s Rock at times, but it also borders Power Pop, both classic and the noisier new fashionable version. Superfaded is an instant classic, built on a killer riff and yet sounding both a bit Weezer and a lot Brit Pop.




Everybody Knows is a darker version of the band, yet adds some great harmonies and the closer mesmerising American Blood broods wonderfully. But there is also great Pop. Self Attraction is nearer Indie Pop and I Really Miss You is built around a wonderfully engaging arrangement.

Sheep Shed is superb Power Pop. I've obviously never heard the original sessions, but it would be interesting to hear them and compare them to the now because Fuzzysurf have delivered a crackerjack listen. Great riffs, great choruses and a joyous listen.




You can listen to and buy the album here.


.........................

No comments:

Post a Comment