Attic Salt hit their third album, a long six years since the previous, Get Wise. The Springfield Illinois quartet press all of my buttons and so will likely push yours too. This is life affirming Indie. Power Pop, I suppose, but much more than that.
Songs are built around key requisites, killer riffs, big choruses and top notch solos. Slightly noisier than you might think, without ever losing the melody. A little Punk, a bit more detached from the genre that you might expect, more of a distorted feel, a tad Slacker, but as effective as say, a band like Ash.
They are in the mould of the new breed of Power Pop, but happier to ramp things up more. This is real singalong stuff, aided by the split vocals of Andy Harmon and Alyssa Currie, the male / female split works wonderfully well and their twin Guitars chime together splendidly.
Held together by the rhythm section of Frederick E. Malcolm and Skip Davis. Those joint vocals work even more when shared on songs. The energy on show is awesome, the four don't come up for air, Stay In The Midwest will shake the cobwebs off.
Not one song is over 3 minutes and this say what you wanna say and then get off is part of the album's charm. A few tears ago, I moved away from Power Pop, simply because it became too rooted in the Classic, all I Love You, Yes Ido, I've lost my girl on repeat.
It was albums like this that brought me back. Bands who proved there was more than just the same in the genre. Any of these 10 songs will light up your life. I've picked my current three faves, but they'll most likely be different tomorrow. Up and at 'em Guitar led joy at its most effective.
You can listen to and buy the album here. It is available on Vinyl, CD or as a download.
.......................

No comments:
Post a Comment