I Don't Hear A Single may wander more around the genres these days, but it should never be forgotten that it was built on Power Pop and Hurry have been a key part of that. 2014's Everything / Nothing was reviewed on Anything Should Happen. 2016's Guided By Meditation missed out due to the gap between ASH ending and IDHAS starting.
But the three albums that followed are all reviewed here and all 3 were in the year's Best Of's. So we hit 2026 and other reviews note Zoned Out as the 6th album, I had it down as the 7th, but that's immaterial. I said in 2021 that you know what to expect, but that is the beauty of previous albums.
Matt Scottoline's vocals suit Power Pop perfectly, he writes some of the most joyous melodic songs that you could ever wish to hear. There's never been any doubt that he is a Teenage Fanclub fan and now Gerald Love appears on the excellent, Moving After You to underline this.
The guitars are chunkier and there is more synth than usual, which actually enhances the relevant songs, but this is a Guitar album, a brilliant Guitar album. It is also the best Teenage Fanclub album that Teenage Fanclub didn't write and perform.
Zoned Out sounds like TFC in their glory period from the early days to Grand Prix. The riffs are omnipresent, the solos extended and the songs are ones that you will be singing along. It is a little rockier and beautifully arranged and performed.
The whole album underlines the beauty of the Guitar and the chorus. I defy anyone to put together 10 songs of absolute quality and consistently. You may have some idea of what you are gonna get, but I just want more and more of it.
You can listen to and buy the album here. It is available on Vinyl and as a download.
...................

No comments:
Post a Comment