I've been listening to this for a few months and it hit a nerve pretty early on. Sometimes, it is hard leading a double life. I Don't Hear A Single is my main realm, but away from it, I listen to much noisier stuff, particularly Psych and Prog. The two don't often mix. But when they do, Wow!
Initially, I thought Big Super, a little noisy for here, but repeated listens made me realise that great albums should translate anywhere and this is Great. Feaster are a quartet from Philadelphia and I've seen them labelled as all sorts from Indie to Psych Rock. Maybe best sticking with Rock with a heavy Psych tint.
They raid genres at will whilst remaining quite unique. They aren't Prog, but random changes within songs may make you think they are. At times, they flirt with 90s Rock, but you think you've nailed them and they come up with a Surf solo.
The album is an incredible listen. The arrangements are complex, but built on a riff or a vibe. They can also be very melodic. I said they aren't Prog, but Footguns is a great Prog song. They can also be gentle, particularly, the magnificent Rally For The Win. Yet, BABA goes full on Led Zeppelin.
Simple John is a corking mix of 60s Psych and Brit Pop. Surprise is probably my fave, it broods and then breaks out. Come To is another cracker, more commercial, great Psych. All 10 songs are different. As we hit August, this will feature high in the Best Albums Of 2026.
You can listen to and buy the album here. An album that serves a physical release.
....................

No comments:
Post a Comment