Google Tag

Saturday 25 May 2019

I Don't Hear A Single Special - I Do Hear An Extended 12 Inch Mix



Something very different to what you normally hear on the IDHAS Audio Extravaganzas on this special! Unlike the usual mixture of Power Pop, Pop Rock and Psych Pop, you have a 49 minute mix of six White Label 12 Inch Mixes. I hope you enjoy listening to this one off as much as I have.

During the IDHAS down time this month, I was sorting through my vinyl collection, something that the Queen Of Burtonwood tells me I should do more often as the attic resembles a teenager's bedroom (her words).

I dug out some of the 80's White Label Extended Mixes that I hadn't played for a long long time and really enjoyed listening to something very different to what I listen to nowadays. Indeed, I listen to the past less and less.

So I thought that you'd like to hear a mix of half a dozen of these, Fear not, normal service hasn't been affected, Volumes 68 - 71 have already been compiled for those who are missing the Guitar. A massive thanks to Jim Moody for his superb technical skills, without whom this would not be possible.

The playlist details are on here and by clicking the Mixcloud tab. You can listen to the previous IDHAS Aural adventures on Mixcloud here.

There are more specials planned, although most will be archive songs from the usual form of sounds that we enjoy. I'll write a little on each selection after the playlist. That playlist is as follows  :


01 The Power Station - Some Like It Hot (And The Heat Is On)
02 Sparks - Tryouts For The Human Race (Alternative Extended Version)
03 Dead Or Alive - Brand New Lover (The Dust Monkey's Love Bubble Club Mix)
04 Paul Young - Everything Must Change (Extended Version)
05 Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Rage Hard (The Young Person's Guide To The 12 Inch)
06 Tears For Fears - Shout (U.S. Remix)

The Power Station song is probably the only Power Station song that you need.

Tryouts For The Human Race has an extra verse that isn't available elsewhere.

Stock Aitken And Waterman get a lot of stick, but I love what they did with this lesser known Dead Or Alive single.

Paul Young's No Parlez is a superb album, the follow up, The Secret Of Association is half a great album. However, Everything Must Change is great pop and this extended mix adds some wonderful harmonies towards the end.

ZTT messed around a lot with the Frankie Stuff, most of it inessential, but this extended mix of Rage Hard is beautifully done, very different and a real anecdote to the largely dross filled second album.

Shout has always been an underrated TFF single, this Mix ups the drums.



I Do Hear An Extended 12 Inch Mix



2 comments:

  1. I used to love a 12 inch extended remix back in the day. Heaven 17 had some real killers and theres a couple of great thomas dolbys but my favourites were madness who basically always put the song first but added little extra flourishes here and there..tasty stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul Young was always one of the better 12" remix providers - "Iron Out The Rough Spots", "I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down:", and "Come Back and Stay" are some other highlights IMO. The (English) Beat were notorious for (very cool) 12" remixes of almost all of their singles back then.... I remember reading a quote from Dave Edmunds when asked about a 12" remix for one of his songs..."That's where they f*ck it up?" was his response....

    ReplyDelete