Google Tag

Tuesday 14 December 2021

The Harmony Motel - Topical Depression


One of the major outcomes of this year is how far I am behind on reviews I am. I don't get people who moan that they are bored. The lockdown may have stopped me going out, but it has opened so many other musical doors. Indeed, there are still two magazine writing projects that I've yet to start providing any material for, three or four months on. Then there is rush to get I Don't Hear A Single Reviews up before the year end. 

I mention this because I am currently catching up with stuff that I should've listened to ages ago and at times there's an irritation that I've missed listening to something that I could have spent even longer enjoying. Which brings me to The Harmony Motel. Many of you will know and love The Zags, well this is Stanton Hall's other "band". I love what Hall does and discovering that Bradley Skaught, another musician that I admire helps out, makes me feel even worse for ignoring it thus far.



The Harmony Motel is essentially a solo project with assistance from others. It allows Hall to unleash a lot of ideas and therefore there are a lot of directions taken and as you expect not everything works for any listener, but for this listener, the vast majority does. Topical Depression isn't an album to be judged by genre, it is a revelation of the influences and talent of Hall and it that it more than does the job.

Played By The Game is a wonderful song that would enhance any album. It is intellectual Pop Rock of the highest order. Reminiscent of great 90s Pop Rock, but at the same time something you could imagine City Boy doing in peak period Book Early mode. There is so much packed into sub 4 minutes that all around it could pale into significance. Thankfully, the genre hopping avoids that comparison, because apples would be being compared to oranges.



Getting Started Late is prime time UK Glam Rock, A Touch Of Confession is great 70s Pop Rock, think Jigsaw. Left Turn On 5 Forks goes all fuzzed up Indie 90s, part Brit Pop, part TFC. Definite Indefinite is a surprise closer with its Simon and Garfunkel akin 60s Acoustic singer songwriter vibe. The Title Track is splendid gentle Psych Pop with some haunting pedal steel and a great Toytown interlude. All this variation is overwhelmingly ace.

There's a lot here to take in, but it is more than worth the effort. Topical Depression is an absolute gem of an album that reveals startling talent. Even the odd song that doesn't hit home has to be admired for its variation to anything around it. It unwraps and displays Stanton Hall's talent and deserves a wide audience. Contained within are some of the finest songs that you could wish to hear and I haven't heard any other album this year that takes so many chances, yet remains, at its heart, incredibly melodic.



You can listen to and buy the album here.


..................................

No comments:

Post a Comment