Google Tag

Thursday 30 December 2021

The Split Squad - Another Cinderella

 

You may cast your glance at any album that mentions the word Supergroup and roll your eyes. I know I do. Resulting albums are usually great (I'm thinking of you Tinted Windows!) or really bad and when I say bad, I mean bad. Everyone gets a go resulting in albums that are all over the place.

Fortunately, The Split Squad are great. I like all five in the band as well as the bands they are / were in. Eight years on from their debut album. Another Cinderella is described as "Big Dumb Rock" and you know what it is, although I'd say Pop Rock is just as present.



The key word is fun and the varying genres that the musicians are known for allows a fine assortment of songs, all performed with smiles on faces. Compare the Power Pop of Taxi Cab to the out and out Glam Rock of Invisible Lightning. 

Trying To Get Back To My Baby is great 70's Classic Pop Rock, while Bigger Than Heroin goes one step further as a cracking slab of Dinosaur Rock. Sinking Ship is a fine Rock Anthem. but Another Cinderella is ace Stadium Rock and what a Guitar Solo!



Special mention has to be given to the two versions of Hey DJ. The opening version is an up and at 'em rock out. The closer, Hey (Soul) DJ is all 60s Soul Review. brass and all. An example that these guys didn't just turn up or phone the album it.

The songs stand up with some mighty Guitar Solos and a few great Organ runs, but it is the choruses that grab you most. Another Cinderella never takes itself seriously and this is a credit to The Split Squad. I absolutely loved it.



You can listen to and buy the album here. You can find out more about the band here.


..........................

No comments:

Post a Comment