Google Tag

Friday 1 December 2023

The Nowness - The Nowness

 

It's not intentional, but I seem to be in a certain period review wise this week. It feels very UK New Wave 1977 - 1979 and as well making me incredibly nostalgic, I'm listening to some great albums. Here is another from Uppsala's The Nowness. 

The project from Joakim Jahnke revels in 70s Pop Rock. For instance, I Choose My Battles Now is pure early solo Nick Lowe, even down to the song title. I Can Live With That Now is pure my girl just left Power Pop, a mix of UK and US Late 70s versions of the genre.

Betina Spector has a more 60s vibe and is beautifully done whilst Even A Dog Has Its Day is very UK Pub Rock.  Run Out Of Trouble even makes a really decent stab at Glam Rock and Even When Your Wrong is a great opener that sets the scene for what's to come.

Jahnke has a gentle-ish vocal that suits the material and the chores are splendidly singalong. There is plenty to like and enjoy, but you do slightly get the feel that 12 songs that sound fairly similar may get wearing for music fans that like a little more variation.


You can listen to and buy the album here.


.........................................

No comments:

Post a Comment