Google Tag

Thursday 10 March 2022

Bernard Butler - People Move On (4CD Super Deluxe Edition)

 




In a Bowie finding his Jeff Beck moment, I always wanted to find my Mick Ronson. Ronson was my guitar hero, I was too young at the time to truly appreciate what went before Glam and through that glittery star sprinkled era, the Spider shone. So I now look at it through very large rose tinted spectacles.

I became more and more appreciative as time went on for Ronson, through Dylan's Rolling Thunder Tour, his superb return with Ian Hunter in '79 and then his Nashville years. I never thought anyone could equal Ronson, he was as good as ever on that final tour with Ian Hunter. Seeing him at Manchester International 2 with my good friend John Dickinson, I was transfixed. Mott The Hoople had been my band, but it was Ronson I wanted to see.

Melodic, effortless and not just the traditional rock riffs, he was never afraid of country or a Duane Eddy Twang. Why all this stuff about Ronson in a Bernard Butler post? Well I did find someone who had the same style, attitude and belief. If it got boring, he moved on, that man was Bernard Butler. He was the Mick Ronson for the Brit Pop generation.

I lost interest in Suede an album or two after he left. Dog Man Star is a wonderful album and if only it hadn't disintegrated after that To me Dog Man Star was Butler's album.

After two killer singles and an album as a duo with David McAlmont, a solo album was to come and what a solo album. People Move On is one of the great of the 90's. When you expect it to rock, it goes all moody and intimate and as you get into that mode, the glamathon comes back to hit you like a hammer

Critics griped about a supposed weedy voice. I think they missed the point, it was a solo album and so why have an outside singer and I think his voice works beautifully on the songs he brought to the album. The opener, Woman I Know, is a bold start, a nigh on eight minute Peter Green like Riff dominating it, it's great.

The Glam of You Just Know, the Orbison twang on Change Of Heart and that massive string arrangement on You Just Know. The gradual build up of Stay and the brooding melancholic I'm Tired. People Move On is an album to listen to from start to finish.

Now it has been released as a 4 CD Super Deluxe Edition. The first CD is the original album, the second is the album with a new vocal and occasional Guitar Overdubs . The third CD contains the Singles B Sides in both original and re-recorded vocals. Perhaps Butler listened too much to those original critics.

The fourth disc is the treasure for Butler and Suede fans. There are five demos, three acoustic rehearsals, three live versions and seven String Sessions. The latter may be the best thing on it. The set may be too much for the casual listener, but those who know, know and this will be an essential purchase for them.

......................

1 comment:

  1. A fantastic album! You've inspired me to play it again. Suede is a long time favorite of mine as well. Last good album for me was "Head Music". Since then, hit and miss.

    ReplyDelete