Google Tag

Tuesday 23 August 2022

The Photocopies - Between You and Me EP




Michigan's Sean Turner is a Londoner and The Photocopies and he follows a recent trend over the past few years of being the solo musician behind a band name. I'm thinking of Matt Julian of The Speedways, Michael Collins of The Summer Holiday and now The Photocopies.

All master catchy Guitar Pop in slightly different ways, but the results are splendid and built on choruses with earworm riffs. Turner has been incredibly busy over the past year or so and since February, The Photocopies have had a release every month, most being EPs. 

You can listen and buy them all on Bandcamp, but I've gone for just one and there is a reason for why I have chosen just one of the EPs and I will go into why later. So I've gone for July's Between You And Me, a fine four song selection.



Initially, the earlier releases were undeniably C86, probably the best more recent versions of that genre. But more lately, the songs have entered other areas. Here, Might As Well Talk To Myself is wonderful Power Pop. 

Elsewhere, Somebody's Fool is more rustic, acoustic and very Bolan-esque. Vexed is almost Rockabilly and only Anywhere Without You is anywhere near C86. These are four charming songs, low fi, but wonderfully so and as catchy as catchy can be.

Now the bigger news. On Friday, my great friend Darrin at Subjangle releases a three volume, 2 CD Set that rounds up The Photocopies output thus far and includes unreleased stuff. I am now off to Darrin's to mither him for a download of the set by saying I like Dream Pop very very very much. (Social Media Followers may have come across this subject over previous chapters).



You can listen to and buy this EP here and listen to what's gone before (and after). I will put the Subjangle link up as soon as I have it.


.............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment