Google Tag

Wednesday 4 May 2022

Sparks - Balls Deluxe Edition

 

One of the reasons that I avoid band forums is that fans don't see any darkness in a band's career. If you are objective, it is as though you have become blasphemous. I love Sparks, yet I fully understand why many do not get them, in the same way people don't fall for XTC. I'm also not one for going on about albums that I don't like, I'd rather talk about the great.

I have come to realise that Sparks have been a large part of my life. Propaganda was the first album that I bought under my own steam. One of the first live shows that I saw was Sparks at Liverpool Empire on that tour. I was in Paris when the Whomp That Sucker singles became so big. I was in tears when the Mael's returned to the live scene on the Gratuitous Sax Tour, I never thought I would see them live again.

I was in Koln often with work when Balls was released and they were becoming so big there, due to the dance mixes of singles. I'm also a fan of Sparks most when they get weird. Indiscreet, Angst In My Pants, Gratuitous Sax And Senseless Violins and virtually everything after this album. I don't see too many artists as lauded in their 70s, Ian Hunter being another example maybe.

But the duo have released some clunkers. Terminal Jive, Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat, Interior Design and Balls. It was as though Gratuitous Sax had never happened. As I said, I don't want to dwell on what I consider to be poor albums.

There are positives in that this album marks the reissue of most following this. These are much better listens, considerably better. The use of repetition, wit and almost symphonic projects mark them out as one of the most inventive bands around. Almost classical at times. 

I do believe that if Balls hadn't been released you may not have got what followed when it became less about songs and more about soundscapes. If you want to hear Sparks do Europop. go listen to the superb Music That You Can Dance To. That album is outstanding in its inventiveness. On Balls, the songs have little hooks and all sound a bit twee. Even listening back to the album now, there is the sound of nothingness.

More Than A Sex Machine is the one great song here. It's Educational gives a glimpse of what was to come, but most of the rest on show here is mediocre fodder. There are eight bonus tracks added for the completist, none essential. I expect the mail bag to be full, but at least I'm an honest Sparks fan.


..........................................

2 comments:

  1. "Balls, all you need are balls to succeed are balls" opens this CD with a misogynistic bang. "Aeroflot" captures the exciting ride a traveler will secure on the Russian airline and repeats it ad nauseam. The less than thrilling non-anthemic "How To Get Your Ass Kicked" and proceeds down a slope no amount of bombastic fluffery could successfully scale. "Bullet Train" repeats and repeats and repeats information slowly about the supremacy of this Japanese marvel.

    But, the songs don't work, aren't up to Ron Mael's usual tongue-in-cheek wit, and don't warrant replay. I hated Balls on first listen. Don't care for it today. But, I'm a diehard Sparks fan since 1971 and their Halfnelson debut. This release more than any other in their catalogue sounds like demos rushed into premature release just to get an album to market. In essence, it sounds like the album you make if you need a cash infusion and you can rest on your laurels knowing your cult status will outlast the actual product.

    I love Sparks. Woofer In A Tweeter's Clothing, Kimono My House, Propaganda, Indiscreet, Number One Song In Heaven, Exotic Creatures of the Deep, Hello Young Lovers, Hippopotamus, and A Steady Drip Drip Drip are brilliant examples of Ron Mael's sheer creative genius. They each demonstrate in different ways why praise is deserved for Sparks, why they achieved a loyal fan base, and why they can sell out concerts in their seventies to audiences whose parents weren't born when they started recording.

    You won't find that level of input, excitement, drive, creativity, or musical depth on Balls. What you'll find is two brothers trying to not repeat themselves and winding up sounding like Lawrence Welk attempting alternative rock. It doesn't work.

    Buy "Exotic Creatures of the Deep" or "Hello Young Lovers" with its single "Dick Around" instead. You'll be blown away by the majesty and sheer wall of sound from their high energy. "Balls" limps along compared to their headstrong, glorious, full thrust "Dick Around".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have unconditional love for the brothers Mael, but this is a fair assessment of a better off forgotten album in their catalog. Although I think it's worth buying for the bonus track, It's A Sparks Show. It was their walk on music for a bit and I always wanted to own it.

    ReplyDelete